CMAA Officers Scott White, Charles Willis and Mike Bretzke with Alabama House Speaker Mac McCutcheon at CMAA 2019 Annual Meeting
Did You Know…?
- Natural Gas is the cleanest-burning fossil fuel in domestic production
- A large component of Natural Gas is methane (CH4).
- Methane is a by-product of the geologic process that turns organic material into coal.
- 13% of the land in the lower 48 United States has some sort of coal under it, and nearly all of this coal contains methane.
- Methane gas, a hazard in underground coal mining, is normally wasted into the atmosphere.
- A process developed during the search for non-conventional fuels permits the extraction of this natural gas from the coal beds.
- Coalbed methane is produced in 7 counties in Alabama and accounts for about 40% of all natural gas produced in the state.
- Operators have invested about $3.5 BILLION in Alabama to develop the resource.
- Almost 10,000 coalbed methane wells have been permitted in Alabama since 1980. Currently there are 5,600 active wells.
- The Coalbed Methane Association of Alabama is a non-profit trade association made up of individuals and companies engaged in the development of coalbed methane resources in Alabama.
- The CMAA has promoted the continued development of this valuable resource in the state for more than 30 years.